Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Follow Our Adventure Online!

We're down to just a few days before we throw off the lines and head south on our adventure, and today we found out that you can follow our adventure in real-time, courtesy of the position transponder on the boat!

Check out: http://trackinfo.fistracking.com/PV2009/

Using this site, you'll be able to specify our boat, Rhiannon, and up to 10 other boats on the race and chart our progress.

The screen looks like this:


So, select "Non-Spinnaker Race 4" and then specify Rhiannon. Then you can bookmark that link and check on us day by day. They've also got a news page and forum for the race.

Flying Untied

So I've been planning to bring my super-duper 8-foot tuna-slayer fishing pole on this trip. I got this heavy fiberglass pole about 20 years ago in Santa Cruz, and it hasn't seen use since I came to Oregon. I checked with United about checking it and they said "No problem" - but neglected to tell me that they'd charge me $175 to take it to L.A. - it would actually be cheaper to buy my fishing pole a seat on the plane! Good thing I checked twice and thought to ask!

So, sad to say, I'll be buying a nice used pole when I get to L.A. on Friday morning, and cursing the way United likes to nickel-and-dime you all the way down there.

Super What?

It turns out we're going to be at sea during the Super Bowl. So we're likely to miss out on some buffalo wings and brewskis, but all things considered, I think we're getting the better end of this deal.

And for our viewing pleasure...

It also turns out that my fellow crewmates have never seen the movie Muppet Treasure Island. So I bought a copy on DVD and will have everyone singing along to this great musical while we're on the water.

I mean, with Tim Curry playing Long John Silver, how can you go wrong? His rendition of "When You're a Professional Pirate" is right up with "Sweet Transvestite" in the Curry Ouevre.

Between this and our collection of Great Big Sea and Captain Bogg & Salty CDs, we're sure to have a fine Chanty quintet by the end of the journey.

No comments: